- This event has passed.
October 6, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Following the BC Schizophrenia Society (BCSS)’s Annual General Meeting, there will be a free series of short presentations on current issues related to inpatient care for people with serious mental illness.
The psychiatric inpatient experience can be very difficult both for patients and their families. These panel presentations aim to explore inpatient care from a variety of perspectives.
- “Is There a Shortage of Psychiatric Beds?” – Alan Bates, MD, PhD (Provincial Practice Leader for Psychiatry at BC Cancer and President, BC Psychiatric Association)
Earlier this year, BCSS and the BC Psychiatric Association constructed a questionnaire seeking the experiences of family members and people affected by serious mental illness. Hear about the report developed examining these experiences within a wider discussion of relevant issues and what recommendations are being made for improving the situation.
- “Potential Legal Barriers to Treatment” – Dr. John E. Gray, PhD (Co-Chair, BCSS Public Policy Committee and Lead Author of Canadian Mental Health Law and Policy)
Learn about the unusual legal developments that currently threaten patients’ access to the involuntary treatment that some patients need.
- “The Inpatient Experience: A Parent’s Perspective” – Nancy Ford (Retired Executive Director of Pathways Serious Mental Illness Society [previously North Shore Schizophrenia Society])
Hear about one woman’s experiences with her son during his hospitalization, including suggestions for how to make inpatient care better.
- “How to Reduce the Need for Inpatient Care” – Susan Inman (BCSS Board Director and author of After Her Brain Broke: Helping My Daughter Recover Her Sanity)
A presentation describing a list of recommendations and changes for the mental health system that could lead to fewer people requiring inpatient care.
- “A Map of the Tertiary Mental Health System in BC” – Dr. Randall White (President, Western Canada Branch of the American Psychiatric Association and Member, BCSS Medical Advisory Committee)
A presentation describing BC’s tertiary (longer-term) residential options for people needing more comprehensive care.
These presentations will be available province-wide online through webcasting. Please contact BCSS for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.270.7841.